Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The Four E's

In Alexander Dumas' Classic The Three Musketeers, there were four heroes, Athos, Porthos, Aramis, and D'Artagnan. Only three of them were musketeers, hence the name. In Bike/Ped Advocacy we have the Four E's. There are five of them and one of them doesn't really start with an 'E'. They are: Education, Encouragement, Enforcement, Engineering, and Eemplementation. You can see which one doesn't quite fit in.

In the Bike Ped Master Plan (BPMP) we have a huge section on Engineering and smaller ones on Education, Enforcement, and Encouragement.

The hard part is Eemplementation. That is, getting the funding and actually doing what is in the Plan.

So, I will break up the proposed elements of each of the Four E's from the BPMP in a series of blog posts here. I will try to determine what components have been implemented and give a little report. This may take some time.

Engineering will be the last E I cover because it has the most components. I'll start in the next day or so with Education. I'll try to focus on what is in the plan, though I have to say a lot of things are not in the plan that I want to be there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home